We are a friendly club who welcomes players from 8-18 years regardless of previous experience or ability. We offer structured sessions for learning and fun and members are invited to play in external tournaments when appropriate. We are affiliated to Badminton England (CL000029), and follow their guidance in our code of conduct for young people and other policies. We are also accredited as a Badminton England Premier Club and hold the Sport England Clubmark.
The club currently have the following sessions held on Wednesday evenings at Harborough Leisure Centre:
- 4-5pm – Session aimed at aged 8 to 15 years (school years 3 to 10).
- 5-6pm – Session aimed at aged 11 to 16 years (school years 6 to 11).
- 6-7pm – Session aimed at aged 14 to 18 years (school years 10 to 13).
Dependant on numbers players aged 12 and 13 years (from school years 8 & 9) may be accepted to the 6:00 to 7:00pm session based on their playing ability.
We have Badminton England level 1 and 2 coaches, plus adult volunteers in attendance and cater for players of both beginner and intermediate ability levels.
The main sessions through the term will generally include the following:
- Preparing to Play activities, Single & Double Ladders, Fun & Conditioned Games.
- Tasks that are adjusted on the various courts to reflect the needs of all the players’ abilities (i.e. beginner/intermediate).
- The Six Sigma method of DMAIC (i.e. Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, and Control) will be used at various stages over the weeks in relation to a selected range of shot skills.
- A BKL Automatic Shuttlecock Launcher will also be available for some sessions.
- The FocusX2 analysis software programme tool using captured video footage (where consent has been given) of the players movements may also be used at various stages to help improve players technical & tactical skills.
Members of the club also have the opportunity to attend trials with a view to attending training sessions at Team Leicestershire Performance Centre, which is linked to the Leicestershire Schools Badminton Association, who run the Junior County Teams.